The Food Security Group is the agricultural impact arm of Kirchner Group. Kirchner Group is a traditional merchant bank that was established in 1985 with a focus on operations, transactions and asset management; with a significant emphasis on the agricultural sector.The Food Security Group was founded by Kirchner Group in 2011.
- Highly experienced portfolio managers, engineers, agrologist, and IP experts
Managed over $200M of venture capital and private equity portfolio assets
- Deep technology based transaction expertise
- Agricultural domain expertise includes managing 15 direct investments, more than 20 strategic advisory engagements, and 4 workout and turnarounds.
Kirchner Group, through its portfolio management subsidiary, is managing several investments directly relevant to food security:
- AgraQuest is at the forefront of the new agriculture revolution. AgraQuest focuses on discovering, developing, manufacturing and marketing highly effective biopesticides and low-chem pest and disease control, and yield enhancing products for sustainable agriculture and food safety markets.
- Chromatin is commercializing solutions to improve agricultural productivity and increasing renewable energy resources. The company’s mini-chromosome technology simultaneously introduces multiple genetic traits into plants, reducing the time and cost required to develop improved and novel crop-based products. Chromatin is also developing specialized sorghum seed for agricultural markets and as feedstock for the renewable energy industry.
- MCN BioProducts Inc. is a biotechnology company focused on unlocking the value of Canola (or rapeseed) meal for use in agricultural feed, food products, cosmetics and industrial markets. The protein concentrates produced by the MCN process provide an alternative sustainable protein source for aquaculture. MCN was sold to a large strategic acquirer.